Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nihao Kids - Isabel's first day of school

Wow, time flies and she is a big girl.  Isabel's first day of school was today - It was emotional for me and pure excitement for her.

9:05am: We (Agnes and I) arrived a little late - last min preparation for the stuff she needs.  Drop off is usually between 8:30 and 9am.  Daddy had to work so could come with us since we are sticking around the area today to make sure Isabel didn't need us.

9:10am: We were out the door - she quickly scanned the room to find toys and pretty much ignored us as we left and said goodbye.  I started to cry when I walked out the door.   She didn't see me.  I didn't expect to cry.  I was fine the night before and even this morning.  I was actually worried that I wasn't affected enough.  Well, I was affected.  My little girl is grown up and for the first time left in someone else's hand outside the family.

9:30-10:30am:  Breakfast at Home Plate with Agnes.  I crank dialed the school at 9:35am and hung up realizing I was giving it enough time.

10:30-12pm:  Shopping for Isabel at Baby Gap.  Called the school for real at 11:30am to find out she never cried and has been actually helping the teacher sooth another girl that was crying.  Wow, what a good girl!

12pm-1:30pm: Lunch at Plutos.  Around 1:15pm, we dropped by Isabel's school to check on her without her knowing.   School's nap time starts at 12:30 and goes to 2:15pm.  She was sound asleep in a corner looking happy and comfy.  Weiping, the head teacher told me, she originally tried to sleep in the front room but it was too noisy as some kids didn't take naps and were playing.  She was moved to the corner of the back room and fell asleep by 12:40 pm.  What a relief for me.

2pm: I drove home to take a nap myself.  Isabel woke us all up at 6:30am this morning.  She was so excited to go to school, so I was exhausted physically and emotionally.  It was 85 degrees and hot but luckily I fell asleep until 3pm.  I called the school before I slept to remind them where I put the other bottles of water we brought.  They told me she woke up at 1:55am and was smiling.  That kid is so great and happy.

4:10pm: I arrive back at school to pick Isabel up.  Pick up time is 4-4:30pm.  I guess I was expecting her to run to me, but she didn't even notice me at first and when she did.  All she said was "I want to play some more" in Chinese.  According to the teacher, she was speaking a lot of Chinese today.  They know that's what I want to hear so will see how much it's true as she goes.  She did seem to understand more as I only spoke Chinese to her.  I let her play until 4:30 and picked up her thing.

Only one drawback today: She was so excited, she only drank half a bottle of water all day. It was so hot, I was concerned.  The teacher said she didn't want more.  I told them to insist next time she drinks at least 1-2 bottles as I think she just wanted to play.  I made her drink a whole bottle before we left for home and changed her shoes to saddles so she can cool off a bit.

She asked for music in the car and was smiling and dancing as we drove home.  What a day!  She had a blast I think.  I was relieved but almost sad that she didn't seem to miss me.  Well, that's motherhood.  I need to already start to let her go a bit.  She may be my kid but she is beginning to live her own life a little.  I am so proud.

- Lei

No comments: