Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I am going to miss my "bump"

I have gained almost 40 pounds for this pregnancy and have about 11 days to go to my due date. While I definitely miss being slim and agile, I think I am going to miss having my baby in my tummy once I deliver.

After almost 9 months of pregnancy, I have gotten used to having a big tummy and having her constantly move inside me so I know she is ok. I think it will hard for me when they first cut the cord after she is delivered. From then on, I would worry about her safety as she is away from me vs. in my tummy, I know she is always with me and safely protected.

I am also trying very hard to enjoy the days prior to delivery. I hear expecting moms get very anxious in the last weeks before delivery and can't wait to get the baby out. I am trying to be present and enjoy the company of Jaime and good friends. So far, it's working. Despite the fact, i have trouble sleeping given the size of my stomach, I make up for it by taking day naps and by distracting myself. I do lunch with a friend almost everyday and we try to have people come over for dinner once or twice a week.

It's actually very enjoyable right now - the calm before the storm, I suppose. It's 4:20 am right now, and while I know I will be up at this hour a lot once the baby is here, it is all quiet in the house right now except the distant chirping of birds, the occasional wiggling of my baby in my tummy, and the clicking of my keyboard as I type.

I think I try to sleep again. Lately I have been falling asleep just thinking about what my daughter may look like and in days soon in the future, she will finally be here :-)

- Lei

No comments: