Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Self-Sufficient Cravings

It's 4:20am and I stir from sleep as Jaime stumbles into bed after falling sleep in the living room watching TV. I tried to go back to sleep, but no luck - my stomach was grawling now. I guess the yummy left overs we had for dinner was just right but not enough to last through the night. I was hungry again.

I asked Jaime if he was hungry. He mumbled something and went to sleep. I knew I could easily just get up, have some cereal with milk, and be back in bed in 5 min. But for some reason, lately, I have been craving blueberry pancakes.

You may think this is where I would wake up Jaime so he can drive to IHOPs and grab me some. At least this is what I have heard other pregnant women do to their husbands in the middle of the night due to cravings. Lucky for Jaime, my craving is a little different.

Not only am I craving pancakes but I am actually craving making them (Jaime has all the luck). I knew we had blueberries, egg, baking mix, and of course the "Magic Bullet." Jaime got me the Magic Bullet two Xmas ago. It's a juicer, blender, chopper, mixer all-in-one machine that is small and easy to clean. We only recently been using it a lot for Watermelon juice, guacamole, muffin mix, and pancake mix.

I don't know why but I have been hooked on making pancakes with it in the last few weeks. Maybe it's because it's so easy and quick and I have never made pancakes before in my life. So far, I have made pancakes twice with it already - all during normal hours before until now.

As I get up and debate whether to eat cereal and make pancakes, the craving took over. Ten minutes later, the batter was ready and I was cooking pancakes at 4:35 in the morning and smiling to myself. It's turning out perfectly this time - fluffy and not too mushy. I warmed up some maple syrup and ate with satisfaction. By 4:50am, I was back in bed and went to sleep again easily.

The best part is I made an extra pancake for Jaime for breakfast when he gets up. I guess being an overachiever and pregnant wife can have a lot of benefits for the hubby. What a lucky man! :-)

-Lei

No comments: