Thursday, January 10, 2008

Q&A with my OB


This post is more for my notes, so I keep track of what I hear from my OB.

Warning: this post maybe a bit too detailed and graphic. Consider yourself warned and read at your own risk

Pregnancy
  1. posterior placenta - normal? safe? what % of woman have it? why?
  2. YES, IT'S NORMAL. 50% OF WOMEN HAVE IT.

  3. I seem to look bigger than average for my pregnancy time? am I bigger than average? normal? chance of delivering early?
    THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR MOM - BEST PREDICTOR OF WHETHER YOU WILL DELIVER EARLY (MY MOM DELIVER ON THE DATE OF HER DUE DATE - WE WILL SEE)

  4. Shellfish restriction? is shrimp ok and considered shellfish? your nurse said 12 oz shrimp is ok but no shellfish?
    ALL COOKED SHELLFISH AND FISH ARE OK EXCEPT MONKFISH, MACKEREL, SHARK, AND TILEFISH. NO MORE THAN 12 OZ OF ANY OF THE OTHER FISH OR SHELLFISH.
  5. cheese like brie - is it safe and pasteurized?
    SOME ARE AND SOME ARE NOT. READ THE LABEL. ANYTHING MADE WITH PASTEURIZED CHEESE IS OK

  6. I still sleep on my back and right side sometime in addition to left. is this ok?
    NO PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE. YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU CANNOT DO IT ANYMORE
  7. Golden gate mothers group - any good?
  8. HEARD IT'S GOOD

  9. can I go to a natural hot springs? what should I be careful of?
  10. PROBABLY NOT. YOU CANNOT IMMERSE YOUR TUMMY SO IT WON'T BE WORTH IT

  11. What about universal studios? what are restriction on the rides?
  12. PROBABLY CANNOT GO ON A LOT OF THE RIDES.

  13. sex: how much pressure is safe for my stomach? say if I am on top?
  14. TOTALLY SAFE TO PUSH PRESSURE UNTIL YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE

  15. I seem to have bumps around my nipple - is this normal?
  16. TOTALLY NORMAL. YOUR BREAST ARE BUILDING MILK DUCTS

  17. I get up several times a night to drink water. Is this normal?
  18. YES

  19. I also pee several times a night? normal? I gave you the sample from 6am today? is this ok? YES, AS LONG AS YOU GET WITH NO FOOD IN STOMACH

  20. I had a muscle cramp last night from yoga - small cramp. normal?
  21. YES, NORMAL

  22. I used biofreeze to soothe it. is it safe? what about icy hot?
  23. CAN USE IT SPARINGLY. DON'T USE IT ON A LARGE PART OF THE BODY AS IT CONTAINS ASPIRIN

  24. I went to bikram yoga twice since the last visit. I like it. How could I tell if I am overdoing it? I like it, but it is hot in the room and I am sweating, although I don't feel faint or anything. Is it ok?
    OK. AS LONG AS YOU DON'T FEEL TOO TIRED AFTERWARDS, IT'S FINE.
  25. How tight is too tight for my pants? WHATEVER FEEL COMFORTABLE. INDENTS FROM PANTS ARE FINE AND NORMAL

Labor and delivery

  1. epidural vs spinal block? I react funny to vicadin - is epidural anything like vicadin? what's the difference between those too?
    ONLY EPIDURAL IS GIVEN. SPINAL BLOCK IS ONLY GIVEN IF YOU HAVE A C SECTION. DIFFERENT DRUG CAN BE FED THROUGH EPIDURAL - DOESN'T HAVE TO BE VICADIN
  2. if my water breaks, how far am I from delivery? should I go to hospital right away?
  3. WE CAN TALK ABOUT THIS IN LATER VISIT. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT NOW

  4. if I have contraction in my 9th months, do I still have time to take a shower before heading to hospital? YES
  5. I heard after you check into the hospital, you are not allowed to eat or drink except thru IV, is this true? if so, why? NO EATING, BUT DRINKING IS FINE. ALL THE NUTRIENTS YOU NEED WILL BE THROUGH YOUR IV. LABOR WILL LAST NO MORE THAN 12-16 HOURS

  6. do a lot of people poop on the table? is it ok to go to the bathroom during labor?
    ABOUT 20% OF THE TIME. YOU CAN GO TO THE BATHROOM DURING LABOR AS LONG AS IT'S IN A BED PANE AND NOT AT THE TOILET
Baby
  1. ss# registration at hospital? YES, THIS IS AVAILABLE

  2. any recommended baby formula brand? THIS IS A QUESTION FOR A PEDIATRICIAN

No comments: