Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What does it feel like to be pregnant?

Several of my friends have asked this. I never really have a good answer on the spot, but I thought I put some responses here for all those interested.

Physically....
- Imagine wearing a body suit 24 hours a day that has a pouch at the belly and a 20lb watermelon (or 20lb worth of jello) stuffed in it.
- Imagine not being able to cross your legs because your growing belly is in the way (I keep trying several times out of instinct before I gave up :-))
- Imagine not being able to reach your toes after awhile (a great excuse for getting pedicures)
- Initially kicks from the baby feels very much like having internal gas and then it feels like bubbles bursting inside
- It can feel like the skin is stretching so much it may tear but amazingly it doesn't
- (skip this part if you don't want to hear anything gross) Think of how often you fart right now. Well, it will be 5 times as often when you are pregnant and 3 times as smelly. Surprisingly, the husband will also join in the increased "festivities." I guess it's one of those symptoms that rubs off on the spouse.

Emotionally or psychologically
- I found myself saying "I am pregnant or I am having a baby?!" a lot to my husband as if it's a question or a way for me to realize it's real
- Imagine crying easily at anything emotional on TV or at a movie or just crying all of sudden at night
- I can also feel lonely or overly sensitive: "Will my single friend or my friends with no kids still be my friend?" "Am I talking too much about the pregnancy or baby stuff?" "Will I get my body back ever?" etc..
- It can feel miraculous "I am growing another human being and my body knows what to do" - it's amazing to think something so complex will come out of my body in 3 months.
- It can feel like alien invasion: my baby moves around all the time and sometime all day long. It feels so strange that something live is moving inside but at the same time so natural. I actually always look forward to her movement

- Lei

No comments: