Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bikram Yoga and Pregnancy

Bikram Yoga rocks... at least at the studio I take it, which is in the Castro at 20th and Eureka. with Lamott as the Instructor. I have done Bikram Yoga for about 2 years there before I got pregnant. Once I found out I was pregnant though, I had to stop, especially in the first trimester since the heat may endanger my tiny baby.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, when my doctor said I could return to doing it with modified poses starting my second trimester.

I am so glad I did. I started going back once a week since first week of January (around my 22 week) and it has been awesome for my back and for my whole feeling of well-being.

Before then, I was getting so anxious as I haven't worked out much for 4 months and I used to exercise 3 times a week. On top of that, I was feeling like my body was growing out of control - I am sure a common feeling in pregnancy.

After starting Bikram again, I feel much more at ease with my growing body and feel less clumsy as well. I also love the heat in my studio. It's radiant heat, so it's not that unpleasant blast of occasional dry overbearing heat from regular heaters. It's like working out in a super warm tropical climate instead. Since I have done it before, the heat is actually welcoming instead of unbearable. Baby seems to like it as well and kicks me occasionally during my poses.

Since I cannot squeeze my belly, I modify about 50% of the poses which eases the exercise but still last 90 min to help me stretch and strengthen. Overall, it's been great.

Amazingly my doctor said I can continue Bikram for as long as I want during my pregnancy as long as I don't feel faint or super tired afterwards, so we will see how long I will continue. The icing on the cake too is that Jaime goes with me every Wed to Yoga. So we get a little mid-week husband and wife outing filled with healthy exercise and a good meal afterwards :-)

- Lei

No comments: