Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day - A day of love, tension, or both?

Happy Valentine's Day! This seems to be the most stressful day in the year. Singles don't like it because it's supposed to be for couples and all day serves as a reminder they are still single (even if they are fabulous).

Most long term couples also end up fighting about something during this week. Too much pressure and expectations are placed on the men that makes them edgy; women are usually more sensitive even if we don't really like the holiday. Love is expected to be in the air and therfore creates more tension.

I think V-Day is really created to boost the flower, chocolate, jewlery, and restaurant industries. It's also more of a holiday for new couples as there is so much expectations and meaning artificially built in - "are we exclusive? what will he get me? what does that mean?"

For us "old couples," it's more like "will he remember to get me a card?" "do we really want to overpay for our meal just to go out?" Usually the day or weekend after is the best as the expectations are over and we get to just enjoy each other's company like any other week.

Already I heard of 3 couples including me having fights this week with our spouses. It's perhaps a coincidence or the added tension of romance expectations. Either way, I always view this holiday with mixed feelings, expectations, and some relief when it's over.

I agree love should be celebrated. I just prefer to celebrate it every day throughout the year. :-)

- Lei

No comments: