Monday, February 25, 2008

I passed! I passed! :-)

On Feb 12, I got an unexpected call from the OB nurse. I didn't pass my first Glucose test. That was not what I expected to hear at all. This means I could have gestational diabetes and need to be much more careful the last three months. Yikes. I began to worry.

The nurse said I have to take another test for them to be sure. It's a 3 hour test at 7am and 4 blood drawls at hour 0,1,2,3 and fast the night before after 8pm. (not the most pleasant thought). I also heard the sugar drink I get won't be as pleasant as the first one. They were right - very sweet. Even though she said I have a 70% chance of passing that one, I wasn't reassured much.

I started doing research. It turns out 10-15% of pregnant women 35 or over can be diabetic during their last trimester. It's fairly common and can be managed with better nutrition and possible self-administered test (the infamous daily finger pricking to check sugar level). Again not a pleasant thought. However, after the pregnancy, most if not all women go back to normal. Without monitoring this condition, the baby can grow to be too big or be hypoglycemic.

Overall, I guess it's not so bad, but still I was not looking forward to the prospect of it all in my last trimester. I went in at 7am on Wed, Feb 20 to take the test. The nurses were really nice since they know how annoying this test is for us, so the experience wasn't too bad.

Today, I got the call. The nurse said "You passed with flying colors." Wow, imagine my relief. I have never been so happy to pass a test!

- Lei

No comments: