Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy 2013






Happy New Year!  One of the biggest things I learned this year is: with two kids, I have to give up getting everything done on time or at all.   So what's meant to be a Xmas letter is now a Happy new year letter.  Better late than never, right? :-)

2012 has been an exciting year as ever.  With Ling Ling born in Dec last year, we had our hands full just integrating her into the family.  While Isabel loves her little sister, sometimes, she can love her too much (when she tries to pick up or feed her crackers yikes, or hug her too hard).  All in all though, we survived.

Alexis has developed quite a personality.  She is a pretty mellow kid in general,a good sleeper and loves to smile a lot. Her signature move is the princess wave which accompanied by a big smile has melt many hearts.  Don't get her mad though.  On the rare occasions where she is mad, she has a booming, heart-wrenching cry. She has 4 teeth now, weights about 20 pounds, height 30 inches.  She hasn't started walking yet but she can crawl really fast.  She LOVES food and will pretty much eat anything (so far no allergies! YEAH!)

Isabel has grown into quite a creative, expressive little girl.
  • By expressive, I really mean non-stop talking in the house, in the car, walking on the street, anywhere including with friendly strangers on muni.  She has made a friend, Victoria in Paris whose dad is our neighbor.  They talk by Facetime a lot and it's so cute to hear her conversations.  She also made many friends from school and all her social activities.  
  • Isabel has a keen fashion sense and the ultimate girl - not sure where she gets that from.  I was a tom boy and liked to climb tree when I was 4.  She loves everything princess.  Luckily she also has just as much fun getting herself dirty in the sand at the beach.   
  • Isabel loves to read and learn.  She thinks reading to her is as fun as watching TV.  She voluntarily does Math with me in Chinese and she has taken on the 100 piece puzzle.  It's amazing to watch her mind soak up all the information and figure things out.  Isabel is pretty fluent now in Mandarin.  Even my parents were impressed.


Jaime made it through a year in the corporate machine - SalesForce who bought the startup, desk.com, he
worked at in Sept 2011.  Luckily for him, Salesforce has kind of a Frat culture - many happy hours, young energy, so he fits right in.  He was also shielded from most of the corporate politics by his boss. Well, no more, his boss just left last week, so Jaime is taking over the marketing department for desk.com and will have a team of 4.  He is instinctively a good leader but we will see how long he can fend off or take the corporate BS.  2013 will be another exciting year.  Jaime continues to do Judo and Jiujitsu although not as often.  He hope to get back to a regular schedule in 2013.   
Agnes is as usual a life saver for our family's sanity and balance.  She is great with the kids and continue to teach us by example how to be better parents.  Ha!  She is also an amazing interior organizer.  Without her, our apt would probably look like a storage all over.  She manages to tuck away many things in our storage closet and on the balcony.  She loves her Netbook and iPhone so she can stay connected with her family in the Philippines, her friends around the word, us, and good shopping online :-).  Now that my sister in law, Em, is back in town, Agnes also parties it up with her once a month and get some girl time.

I am back at Wells Fargo working 35 hours a week since March.  I almost took a head of marketing job at a start up but luckily I wised up. :-)  Not a good fit as the CEO and I didn't have the same execution focus. Besides, I want to be there to see my kids grow up.   The Wells Fargo contract affords me flexibility, convenience and financial security.  Gives me more time to also work on my career success blog.  I have about 15K readers monthly and almost 1500 people receiving my email newsletters.  I have many ideas for next year - local events and maybe a book.  We will see how I can fit it in. Lastly, I am happy to return to my pre-pregnancy weight - losing 37 pounds over 8 months.  Yeah!  I know I am vain, but I am also a dancer.  The bigger me just didn't feel right.  I hope to do more salsa dancing next year. :-)

All in all, our family of five is doing well and want to wish you a very happy new year.  Let's get together in 2013.  Best wishes,

Lei, Jaime, Isabel, Alexis, and Agnes

No comments: