Sunday, April 12, 2009

A little mystery solved

Ever since I gave birth, I had some minor back aches here and there and pulled it out twice as well. Just in the last week, I figured out why!

Because of the weight of the baby when I was pregnant, my posture changed and I was used to standing with my butt out a bit balancing all that weight in front. Well, after birth, I don't think I changed my posture, so it was always a little off.

I was doing yoga that way which doesn't help, I don't think as I would compound the strain on the lower back. The only reason I finally figure it out is I took a belly dancing class two weeks ago and one of the principles was don't stick your butt out - keep your tummy tight and tuck in the pelvis so the butt is directly under.

Well I totally understand this concept as a dancer, but what I was surprised was the teacher kept telling me to not stick my butt out. I didn't even know I was doing it. After that day, I started noticing that my default posture now was a little off, always with my butt out a bit. So I started consciously tightening my tummy muscles more and make sure my butt is not tilted.

So far it's working as although I am working out more, my lower back feels much better with almost no discomfort. :-)

- Lei

No comments: