Sunday, January 15, 2012

First month with a newborn is A BI*CH

Most people talks and shares about the rosy and miraculous part of birth and new baby with friends and family. I have been as well, but this post is going to be more about the crazy side of life with a newborn. First month with a newborn is a BI*CH simply put. Here is why.

- seriously sleep deprived - at most 2-3 hrs of sleep at a time (I became so tired that I forgot to turn off the faucet one day for 10 min and flooded the bathroom).
- imaging getting woken up 2 to 4 times a night to feed the baby. Sometimes it can take 2 hours before she goes back to sleep. She may be too gassy so burping takes one hour after feeding
- stressed and worried about many things (enough breast milk? Engorgement, etc...)
- baby blues (crying out of the blue is normal) with few people to talk to. Most people had no idea what a new mom goes through.
- feeling claustrophobic or trapped. All the days run together and dominated by feeding 24/7. I forget what day it is and also don't get to go out until maybe 3rd week
- frustration - cant always sleep when I have a window of time to rest. I can be super exhausted but can't sleep.
- pain from c section. Was on heavy meds that cause constipation. Not fun on top of everything else.
- still feel pregnant. Takes the uterus awhile to shrink back. I still look 5 months preggie.
- Eating 6 meals a day become a chore and dig into rest time. I am always hungry and never feel full. If I don't eat in time, I get a major headache and my milk is affected.

Why am I sharing this? Maybe just to vent or to make sure others who want kids know the serious work involved. At least I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

She is one months old today and was able to sleep 5 hours straight last night. I now go out for a walk at least once a day and can go out for a quick dinner nearby with jaime once a week.

Below are more resources to help new moms.
http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-normal-to-feel-overwhelmed-by-the-responsibility-of-ca_10018.bc

http://www.babycenter.com/0_stressed-out-life-with-a-newborn_10201.bc

Taking it one day at a time. Seeing Alexis smile once in awhile makes it all worth it.

Lei

No comments: