Friday, July 15, 2011

Battle of the Sexes

When I was 12 weeks pregnant and before I found out the gender of my 2nd baby, I took a friend to her acupuncturist.  While waiting, I decided to ask the old Chinese acupuncturist lady about the sex of my baby and see if she can guess.  I was bored and my friend said she had a chart that can predict the gender pretty accurately.

I was horrified at the first thing she said.  She said "Whether the baby is a girl or a boy, you should keep it.  It's already 12 weeks."  At first I didn't understand what she meant, but quickly realize that she misunderstood and thought I want to know the gender to decide whether to keep the baby - NEVER crossed my mind.  But apparently lots of Chinese people especially in China would consider abortion if they found out they are having a girl.  Yuck!

She went on to try to guess the gender and I immediately thought of her as an "old wife" or one of those pretend "psychics"  She was all over the place trying to cover her basis - "if I feel different this pregnancy than the last, than it's not the same gender as the last one.   Many hours of my clinical experience proves that."  I told her I feel quite different this time, so I guess it's a boy.  Then I said I hate sweets this time which I didn't last time.  She then hedged and said well "it's definitely a girl then.  Girls make the mother hate sweets and boy make the mother love sweets."  This made no sense to me since I just told her I have a daughter and during that pregnancy I loved sweets.  I stop the conversation short then.  It was amusing to pass the time I guess.

Well I am 17 weeks pregnant now and knows the gender.  Jaime is right.  He is destined to be surrounded by beautiful women.  We are having a girl!  Isabel and we are so Happy!

- Lei

No comments: