Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I got scammed on Craigslist - alaska airline gift card

To cut down on flight cost, I have been buying airline gift cards on craigslist.  so far, I bought an American airline gift certificate and two different United Airline ones and had no problem.  Each time, I make sure I email the person and have them call me.

Once they are on the phone, I get their full name and also ask them for the gift card or certificate # to use before I pay them.  Keeping them on the phone, I would book the tickets with them.  Once it goes through, I would paypal them the discounted amount.  I would save $50-$80 on a $300 gift card.

Well, Jaime and I are going to a wedding in Maui in August.  His high school friend Don is getting married and all his best high school friends (5 families total) are going.  The tickets are expensive - almost $700 a person right now.  Well, I thought I will just get gift cards like last time.  as long as I be careful, it should be good.

After searching a few days, I came across an ad on craigslist from Berkeley $500 for $310 non-negotiable.  The price is not too low to be suspicious.  Most $500 gift card are around $300-$350 it seems from past ads.  I emailed the person and got a call from a guy named Mike.  He said he doesn't have paypal but will meet up with me in my office in SF.  Once I purchase, I can pay him in cash.  All sounds good right?

He showed up on time.  Looks in his mid-20's  didn't smell and was polite.  He sat there while I ordered the tickets.  He told me he bought it on eBay for $400 awhile back and just won't use it.  That should have been a red flag already since these cards don't expire, but I was too busy booking to think about it.    It went through just fine and I paid him cash.  Just when he was leaving, I decided to ask for his full name just in case.  He said Michael Shults.  I thought about asking for ID but the transaction went through already and he seemed nice.

Well, this morning, I got a call from Alaska Air and they told me that the gift card was purchased at 2:30pm yesterday with a stolen credit card  (I bought it at 3pm) and the credit card owners contested the charges.  They will not honor the gift card.  I called "Mike" back and left two message with no response.  Well, lesson learned.

1.  Don't pay for craigslist items in cash - the fact he doesn't have paypal is a red flag
2.  If I am going to meet him in person, get his drivers license # and name and take a picture of him even  and probably write a check
3.  Just because a gift card goes through doesn't mean it will be honored.  So always protect myself by paying it through paypal or credit card.

Well, luckily this lesson didn't cost me $310.  It cost me $10, as I was able to buy two legitimate $500 gift cards on craigslist for $700 and still kept our tickets.  A good lesson to learn for everyone!  I am debating whether to report him to the police or not.  Will they ever find him?  Is it worth my time?  I will talk to Jaime and ask his police friends to search for Mike Shults.  If he was stupid enough to give his correct name, I will have him arrested.

Happy travels and be careful of scams!

- Lei

1 comment:

Matt said...

This sounds like the same guy that scammed my fiancee and I in Sacramento just a few days before you. His name was "Mike" and he was about the same age. About 5'10 or so with a shaggy haircut and unshaven. Softspoken, but polite and sounded educated. I managed to save a recording of the voicemail that he left me on my phone. I did report it to SacPD but haven't heard anything back.I would really like to find him. Alaska Airlines said that there have been scams up in Seattle by a guy of the same name.