Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pay it forward

I was waiting for the bus in the rain.  It took a little awhile so I began to talk to the two people that also were waiting.  One is a building manager nearby going home from work.  The other just moved here from LA and is a Director for Ad production in the auto industry (basically makes car commercial).  He was busing from home to go to the Container store I think.  it was pouring.

The bus finally came and we all got on.  The second guy then realized that he only had a $20 and the bus gives no change.  I guess there is really no bus system in LA.  As we all scramble to see if we have change for a $20, no one did.  He was preparing to jump off at the next stop so he can get change.  I decided to just give him $2 for his bus fare.  It just seems so unfair to have to go back into the pouring rain with no umbrella in a new city.

He was so thankful, he kept thanking me the rest of the trip and just thought the world of me.  I simply said, people are pretty nice in this city.  I have lost my wallet once and my phone once and both time it was returned to me by someone walking on the street.  I am just paying it forward.  I told him to just pay it forward.  Even though I spent $2, it was just the best feeling to help someone else out (even a stranger) without expecting anything in return.  If only, we can all act like that more everyday.  I will definitely try.  Hope you will do the same. :-)

- Lei

No comments: