Tuesday, March 4, 2008

New appreciation for my mom and all mothers!

Becoming a mom is still so surreal. I may be 7 month pregnant but that doesn't really mean I am ready to be a mom or know much about what it means. It's still an unfathomable concept that a whole baby will come out of me and not some "stork" that will drop her off.

I guess I am still avoiding thinking too much about labor and delivery and how the heck a 7-8 pounds baby will come out of me. The only comfort I have is there will be epidural and CPMC is the best hospital in SF for delivering babies.

Now that motherhood is imminent, I am nostalgic of the days of just being a daughter, a girlfriend, and a wife. It seems so much easier then. Don't get me wrong, I am so looking forward to meeting my daughter in May. It's just that becoming a mom sounds like so much more responsibility - what if I forget her in the car or left her in the store somewhere?

I know these are typical fears of being a mom, but they are still there. I now realize my mom and moms in general are the greatest people on earth. She had to worry about me 24 hours a day and care for me while I played happily and grow up well adjusted. Now I get to do that for my daughter.

I have always wanted children and now I think this could be my most treasured achievement if I can bring a child to the world, care for her and love her unconditionally and see her grow up to be a mother someday as well.

- Lei

No comments: